A Magical New York City Weekend Getaway That Won't Break Your Bank


It was a short trip in early fall when a good friend of mine was getting married. A five days getaway then turned into an unexpected quick stop to this magical land. Where is it you asked? Well, let me start with one of my favourite places of the year:

(Hint: Less than 2 hours away from a major city!)


This place looks so magical that it's almost like I was being photoshopped in it!



Same place, different angle. It felt like a dream and I was entering the Wizard of Oz! This fantasy land is indeed in California, an hour and a half north of San Francisco. A hidden cypress tree tunnel located inside the Point Reyes National Seashore Park. (GPS coordinate here)

The best time to be there is when the fog moves in, which makes the scenery more mystical and spell-binding. However, although frequently appearing, the fog is not easy to catch. My suggestion is to try getting there early morning (a higher chance for the morning fog), you might catch the right moment if you are lucky!



Here is another photo opportunity if you have venture into Point Reyes. Only ten minutes away from the tree tunnel, this locally renowned shipwreck looks even more intriguing in reality!

Shipwrecks had always stirred my imagination. As seen on National Geographic documentaries or movies, I have always wanted to encounter one firsthand with treasures hidden inside waiting to be discovered... well, sadly this one did not have any lost treasures (nor dead bodies!), although it did rekindle my enthusiasm and sense of adventure.

Location: map here



About 20 minutes north, you can venture into the "wild". Walking through more dense fog, and about to have a close encounter with.....



... the Elks! No kidding! Just don't get too close to them as they might get nervous and paranoid.

Location: Tomales Point Trail (GPS coordinate here)



If you are not so much of a hiking person, there is the secluded Mcclures Beach nearby frequented by many seabirds. A fifteen minutes walk from the Tomales Point Trail head.


Accommodation

In case you would like to spend more time exploring the area, you should consider staying at the Motel Inverness for a night! Not only are they inexpensive, they even provide all kinds of binoculars to watch the wild animals while you enjoy breakfast in the morning!



Can you believe this whole area is their backyard?! We were told as much as 30 specifics of birds have been spotted in the past week!


Food

I was always told that good food lights up my face. I guess they are right! No make up needed, just good food!

This is the Marin Sun Farms, with only feature grass-fed, pasture raise meat!

Before you head over, make sure to give them a call and check their opening hours. (They are closed on Tue & Wed)

Address:
10905 Shoreline Highway 1 Point Reyes Station



If you happen to pass by any Whole Foods Market, treat yourself the "Hong Kong Milk Tea" ice cream (exclusively sold at Whole Foods in California only)! Never heard of it? Then you're really missing out! HK Milk Tea is part of the local Hong Kong tea culture influenced by the Brits. Made with black tea and condensed milk, the tea is usually brewed overnight for extra flavour. (Follow my instagram for more authentic Hong Kong Milk Tea hot spots in NYC)

So back in San Francisco where I spent a day before my flight leaving the next morning. Here are some of the Fontaneous' spots:


Don't recognize the giant bow & arrow? Me neither! It's just a public art I came across as I drove by the Rincon Park! And that's me trying to strike the perfect pose ⤵ (How did I do? Lol)





The famous 16th Avenue Tiled Steps, created by two artists Aileen Barr and Colette Crutcher since 2003. (GPS coordinate here)



And here comes the classic Golden Gate Bridge photo!

Heading into the fog is always fun! 


I hope you enjoyed the photos! If you love this post and want to support it, follow us on FacebookInstagram or forward it to your friends! Have a wonderful weekend y'all!

(Please note: All photos in this post are taken by me, except the ones with me in it, so please be respectful and do not use them without my consent. Thank you.)

Comments

Popular Posts