My Trip to Hong Kong - Yum edition #5BestAfternoonTeaPlaces

Congratulation hon 
My month long Hong Kong trip in December had finally come to an end. For the past few days in New York, I had been fighting not only my jet lag, but also a serious flu. However, the trip was totally worth it! It felt great to see a lot of my friends, meet wonderful people and most importantly, witness my good friend's wedding which I had been waiting for years. *weep weep*

Guess who's the lucky girl that received the bouquet : )

















Another thing I was looking forward to is the FOOD! Dim sum and afternoon tea in particular, which I had been craving for a very long time in New York.

This blog will be focusing on afternoon tea in Hong Kong. Not that we don't have them in New York, but after experiencing so many different afternoon tea from both high and low end places, I was left with disappointment and despair : (

Thanks to the Brits, afternoon tea has always been part of Hong Kong's tradition. Here are my favourites:


Oops! Wrong photo.... Although this set is my #1 favourite at all times, it is unfortunately not available in Hong Kong... I will come back to this in the future post.


Afternoon Tea

#1.
Located inside The Landmark in Hong Kong Island, Le Salon de ThĂ© de JoĂ«l Robuchon has always been on top of my list. They never disappoint despite the minor changes on the menu set. Sumptuous with great presentation, just like what most French are good at.


In case you are staying in Kowloon side, their Tsim Sha Tsui location is your closer option. I do recommend calling ahead of time to reserve a window table!

Le Café de Joël Robuchon
TST address: Shop 2608-2610, Level 2, Gateway Arcade, Harbour City, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon)
Tel: (852) 2327 5711

(Afternoon tea set - HK$280 for 1 person; HK$528 for 2 persons)

#2.
Tiffin Lounge is a hidden gem. Located on 2nd floor of Grand Hyatt (also in Hong Kong Island), the tea set is another of my favourites. I was initially attracted by their presentation and visited the establishment with curiosity and little expectation. I was left pleasantly satisfied. The set included foie gras mousse, smoked sandwich, cucumber & lobster burger, green tea pastry and fresh strawberry tart!


On top of that, the set also included a "all-you-can-eat" dessert bar from chocolate and candies to homemade ice cream and sorbet in different flavors!


Tiffin Lounge 
Address: 1 Harbour Road, Wan Chai
Tel: (852) 2584 7722


#3.
This Chinese theme afternoon tea set is new on my list. If you are the adventurous type and love to try new things, Above and Beyond at Hotel Icon (in Tsim Sha Tsui East) is your next to-go place! Instead of offering traditional scones, they replace it with the traditional Chinese dim sum. Everything on the set is so cute and tasty! The only downside is their price, which in my opinion is a bit high.




Above and Beyond
Address: 28/F, Hotel Icon, 17 Science Museum Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 3400 1318

(Afternoon tea set - HK$438 for 2 persons)

#4.
After trying the Chinese afternoon tea, why not go for a Thai inspired afternoon tea. Mango Tree tea set includes king prawn, grilled satay chicken, deep fried veggie spring roll, Thai salad and desserts such as steamed pandan cake, coconut cake and mango cheesecake.





Mango Tree
Address: 5/F, Cubus, 1 Hoi Ping Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong
Tel: (852)2577 0828

#5.
Last but not least is the traditional Red Box tea set from Lobby Lounge at Intercontinental Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui (Check out their amazing city view here). Chinese afternoon tea was first started in 2012 as a limited seasonal offer and turned into a permanent option due to its popularity. It comes with three layers: Chinese small bites on the first level, Chinese desserts on the second and Japanese inspired desserts on third.

The white dessert in the middle was coconut gelatin with bird's nest on top decorated
with gold flakes!
I had this tea set when it first came out in 2012, so changes in the menu is expected.

The deep  fried crab claw and abalone mushroom tart were
my fav in the set!

Lobby Lounge
Address: 18 Salisbury Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: (852) 2721 1211


There was actually a #6 on my list, but it was no longer available as the master behind the yum left the restaurant a year ago and opened his very own bakery Bread Element. Yes! You guessed right! Chef Gregoire Michaud it is. If you are interested in his previous fabulous creations, check out more photos on my Facebook album in here (*your log in is required*).


Worth Mentioning: 

Apart from afternoon tea, here are my other favourite food (snacks) that I had during my trip that I really love:

Molten Egg Yolk Custard Croissant

Soooooooooooo goood!!!
I even had a dream about this last night. Lol
Urban Bakery inside Jason supermarket 
Address: Hysan Place, 500 Hennessy Rd, Causeway Bay.
and
Urban Bakery Works 
Address: Room 322, 3/F The Landmark 15 Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong 
Tel: (852) 3565 4320


Yè Shanghai's specialty chocolates are made with a variety of Chinese tea flavours, such as longjin, oolong, tieguanyin, pu'er, shuixian and jasmine tea! *One of the must have!*


Yè Shanghai
Address: Marco Polo Hongkong Hotel, 3 Canton Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel: (852) 2376 3322

As mentioned before, I am not a fan of macaron, but when it comes to Foie Gras macaron and White Truffle macaron, I am definitely a die hard fan (just for the two mentioned flavours!)

Every November to January, Pierre HermĂ© launches its famous seasonal macaron flavors - Foie Gras and White Truffle. It was only this past December that they finally arrived in PH Hong Kong!! If they still have them in store, better try them before they end!




Pierre Hermé
Address: Shop 2410, Level 2, Gateway Arcade, Harbour City, 17 Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui


I hope you all had a yum-derful weekend. See you all next week!


Comments

Popular Posts