NYC's 6 Best Restaurants for #NYRW


Check out the art display at the Madison Square Park
The weather in NY has finally warmed up this week, and the snow has begun to melt. The past few weeks were brutal. Temperatures were persistently in the teens and further worsened by the blistering windchill. However, it still didn't stop me from going out to enjoy some good meals during New York Restaurant Week! Let me recap some of my RW experiences that are worth checking out after NYRW:







On top of my list is David Burke Kitchen. Unlike most restaurants during Restaurant Week, which serve a pre fix menu apart from their regular offerings (generally with cheaper ingredients), DBK for the most part was serving its regular menu! And RW surely saved me some money dining at DBK, but I'd totally come back even for the full price menu because the food were so delicious! 

Salmon Tartare

Grilled Berkshire Pork Paillard
with honeycrisp apple, mustard glazed carrots & turnips,
potato croutons, arugula, clothbound cheddar fondue

So yumm that I finished the whole thing all myself!

Toffee Monkey Bread
with banana caramel, maple pecan ice cream

This is DB's signature Cheesecake Lollipop Tree. If you
haven't tried it yet. Get This! You won't regret it!

I also had the Lobster Dumpling at one of David Burke's other restaurant, which was also on DBK's menu. It's worth to order in case you visit.

Second on my list is Blenheim, a modern farm to table restaurant located in West Village. The chef who used to serve at a one-Michelin star restaurant is unfortunately departing and will be replaced by Mazen Mustafa, an alum of Corton in Tribeca and the Elm in Williamsburg.. (they both served amazing food!)
Before the meal, we were served flaxseed crisps and cheddar/ marmite bread. It smelled and tasted so good that it was already in my stomach before I remember to reach for my camera....

Cauliflower Custard,
served with a gruyere broth, leek ash and garlic chips

Lamb Shoulder

Pear and Frangipane Tart
with pear sorbet and some smoked almonds

It was so delicious that I almost wanted order a second round!

Next one on my list is Bar Primi. I decided not to go with the RW menu as their regular a la carte menu looked more appealing and cost around the same. (Note: Bar Primi is now on the Michelin Guide list of 2015.)

Crustino with truffled mushroom and rosemary (Must-have!)

Bar Primi pastas were made in-house using non-GMO flours
and organic eggs. And I had one of my favourite dish
-- squid ink pasta. Yum!

Bucatini with lamb amatriciana, also very delicious.

Babbo will always be my favourite place for pasta, but if you couldn't score a table there, Bar Primi would be your next great option.


I love restaurants that offer not only great food but also great view. If you do too, Gaonnuri will be my next recommendation to you. This Korean restaurant is located on 39/F in Penthouse (1250 Broadway), Korean town.  

Thanks to the gourgeous host, we were seated in one of the best table in the restaurant,
next to the window with this wonderful view : )

We had the Seafood Pancake (above) and Stir Fried Glass
Noodles as appetizer. I came in with no expectation given
the fact that restaurants with great view in America
normally don't have good food. But I was surprised with
their food quality! We also had grill top Korean BBQ with
Prime Beef Short Ribs and Duck Breast as main course,
which came with rice. The Meat were surprisingly fresh
and well seasoned! 
Green Tea Ice Cream with Chocolate Brownies
This was the only dessert on the RW menu, but it was so good that I have no complaint. 

Here are two additional restaurants that worth mentioning: 

Acme's executive chef, Mads Refslund, is one of the
creators of the New Nordic Cuisine and the co-founder of
world-famous Noma in Copenhagen. Chéri and I have been
here a few times in 2013 and 2014 because of their unique
and high quality food offering.
Above photo is their (must-have) signature dish:
Farmer's Eggs with Cauliflower and Aged Parmesan Custard

Duck Egg with spinach and brussel sprouts (above) and for dessert, we had Coffee
Panna Cotta with crunchy coffee biscotti pieces and a drizzle of maple syrup.
The dessert was pretty interesting, but we were a little disappointed with the
main course which has lack of creativity, based on our high expectation....

I came to All'Onda for their famous Bucatini (middle) with smoked uni and spicy bread crumbs, sadly it was a big disappointment (might be due to RW)! However, I love their appetizers.
On the left: Crostini - Chicken Liver Mousse with toasts and Brodetto - Manila clams, mussels, crouton.
On the right was dessert: Hazelnut Mousse.


Last weekend, I got invited to Cleveland OH. Thanks to IMG, I had a wonderful time and well fed with good food!!

I landed around 10pm on Friday, and immediately got spoiled with two of my favourite things.
Banana Souffle (left) and Seared Foie Gras

I also got to taste at one of the best restaurant in town
- Lola, from Iron Chef Michael Symon!

and here are some interesting scenery in downtown Cleveland

I happened to pass by this interesting hotel - Hyatt Regency at the Arcade.
It was converted from a landmark building and used to be a shopping arcade.
They converted the stores into bedrooms.
It kind of reminds me of the traditional shopping arcades in Paris... 

I took this photo on my way back - a different perspective of NY!
Do you see where Central Park is? 

Let me know what you think about the restaurants when you get a chance to try them!



Comments

Popular Posts