A Typical Saturday in NYC

This is how happy I am with the weather today : )
It was a very nice day today and finally warming up in NYC. A lot of girls were even wearing summer dresses and shorts already!

To start off a regular Saturday,
my chéri and I went to a "restaurant" in lower east side for brunch. When we first arrived, we were puzzled that two bouncers wanted to check our IDs (seriously?! but thanks!). When we walked inside, we immediately realized why: The place was more like a club, blasting loud music, DJ spinning, even champagne service... at 3 pm...! (I guess NYers really can party...). One may wonder, what does it look like in there, so let me show you:

To our left...people having brunch, huge book-shelves and photos hanging on the wall.

To our right...  dance floor, lounge seating...DJ stand in the corner... music at full blast, my eardrum hurts after our meal...
I mean...I do enjoy clubbing, but not while I'm having brunch!

Surprisingly, the food was actually quite good.
Here is my lobster benedict with truffles mac & cheese on the side!

And my chéri had mushroom pizza with arugula and truffles. On the side is
tatter tots, also with truffles! Food was great in general. If you are interested,
do stop by "Son of Essex" : )

After brunch, I went shopping for walking shoes for my upcoming trip : ) Can't wait already!!!

I walked pass this frenchy flowery window display... pretty right?

Then we stopped by this famous bakery (again!)
 to check out their new invention...
This famous bakery had been shut down for a
few days last week by the Department of Health
due to a posted footage of a mouse scurrying
out from under the pastry rack in the bakery
kitchen!.... Yuck!!!!!

But it didn't stop people from queuing outside
early in the morning after it reopened last Tue...

And here is why: This is the Dominique Ansel Bakery in SoHo who invented
the Cronut (half croissant half donut). They also create different flavor each month.

I did wake up early and line up 2.5 hours to try last year. My conclusion: definitely NOT worth
the time nor effort, and here is why: 1) croissant only tastes good when it's hot, but this was cold.
2) this was waaaay too sweet! It was rolled in sugar and then topped with glaze which add to the
sweetness. It was a real disappointment : ( 

This bakery is famous even before the Cronut craze. This mini egg
sandwich ("the perfect egg sandwich") was one of their signature items.
It was not bad, but I felt like heart attack waiting to happen afterward!
It was too oily.

However, I do like this Frozen S'More which
came out last summer. It was vanilla ice-cream
core swaddled in two layers: a crispy chocolate
wafer with a gooey hybrid of homemade
marshmallow. It was a great snack on a hot
summer day!

And for my favourite: the Magic SoufflĂ©. It's chocolate soufflĂ© encased inside orange blossom brioche.

Hope my photos didn't make you hungry : )
Have a great day to you all!!!

Comments

Popular Posts